Chem101's Quiz Assignment type allows you to create a short asynchronous assessment style quiz. You must set two-time limits for a quiz: the time window the student has to begin the quiz and the duration for completing the quiz. Once a student has accessed the quiz, they are locked into finishing it before the timer runs up.
For example, here are the steps to make a strict assessment quiz that students will have the weekend to complete, but only 20 minutes to work on once they begin.
1. Create an assignment, name it, and select the type Timed Quiz.
2. Set the Total Time Limit, which will be the time students will have to complete the quiz once they have accessed it for the first time. In this case, 20 minutes.
3. Set the Last Start Date, or the last time the student is able to begin the quiz. In this case, it will be Sunday at 11:59 PM so that the student will not be able to complete it after the weekend.
4. If you would like to start the quiz now, leave First Start Date set to Now. For this example, change it to Scheduled and set it to Friday at 11:59 PM so the students can only begin it once it is the weekend.
5. Select the settings you would like to use for this Quiz. For this example:
-Hide instant feedback to prepare the students for an assessment environment. This setting will give unlimited attempts until the assignment has run out of time, just like erasing your answer on paper assessment. If you choose to show feedback instead, you will need to select a number of attempts per problem.
-Keep grading at simple (click here to see a guide on using advanced grading)
-Adjust the attempts to just one per problem
-Keep the solutions hidden until the assignment due date is past to avoid cheating
-Turn on algorithmic questions to similarly avoid sharing answers between students
-Keep Openstax off to simulate a closed-book quiz
6. Add problems. Depending on the number and difficulty of the questions selected, you may want to adjust the duration of the quiz.
7. Click "Publish" when finished. If you had selected Now for First Start Date this would make the quiz live immediately. If you wish to save the quiz to publish later, either schedule the start for later or click "Save Draft."
Students will now be able to start this quiz at any point from Saturday morning to Sunday night. Once they begin to work on the quiz they will have 20 minutes to finish, including if they close the app or website after first accessing the quiz. You're all finished!
Click here for more information on opening a quiz back up for a student once they have hit duration time limit.
You're all set! As always, feel free to reach out to email@example.com with any questions.