Think-Pair-Share Pedagogy is a feature in Chem101 that allows instructors to create in-class assignments with unlimited attempts, show unbiased live reporting of student answers, and allow students to discuss and finalize answers before being shown the correctness of their answer and any feedback on their mistakes.
Here is how it works:
1. First, create an assignment with one or more questions in it. Remember that the assignment will only show the correct answer when closed, so you may wish to split questions into individual assignments if you would like to show feedback one by one.
2. Under "Pedagogy & Grading" select Think-Pair-Share. This will affect the grading options, as this mode allows for unlimited attempts until the time runs out or the assignment is manually closed. If you wish to set up variable point values, follow this guide for advanced grading.
3. Publish the assignment right away, or save it for later. Once it is published, the students will be able to answer the question, will not see if they are correct or not, and keep changing their answer.
4. If you would like, you can show the students an unbiased histogram of the results of the assignment. The graph with all blue bars is unbiased and selecting the graph button with red, green and blue bars will show the standard histogram with correct or incorrect answers marked off.
5. Once students have had time to discuss the question with their peers and come to a final answer, close the assignment. The students will now see feedback on their answers, and if they were correct or incorrect.
You are all done! Use Think-Pair-Share mode when you would like to have students discuss their answers and come to a consensus in small groups, rather than answering on their own.