Advanced grading is a new section available in all graded assignment types during creation and editing. To use this feature, set up an assignment using the following guides, and return to this article before saving it:
1. Select "Advanced" under the grading heading at the bottom of the assignment settings screen.
2. If you would like to set attempt numbers differently for certain questions in this assignment, select "Variable" under the heading "Problem Attempts."
3. Set your Default number of attempts. This should be the number of attempts you wish to have for the largest number of questions in the assignment, to cut down on work when customizing the other attempt numbers.
4. If you would like to set different point values for some questions in an assignment, select "Variable" under the heading "Question Points" and then set your Default number of points. This should be the number of points you wish to have for the largest number of questions in the assignment, as with attempts.
5. If you would like to penalize students for attempts, select the Penalty option under the "Point Penalty Per Problem Attempt" heading. From there, select a percentage that will be deducted for every attempt past the first one.
6. If using variable points or attempts, scroll down to your previously added questions. Find any questions that need fewer or more attempts or points than the default, and adjust the number. Make sure to check all questions to see that each one has the correct number of attempts and points.
You are all set now! Hit Start or Save for Later as when setting up any other assignment, and your assignment is ready to go.